Saturday, July 22, 2006

Notes On Translating Sufi Texts

 

There are few points that I think worth mentioning regarding translating Sufi texts.

*
I think translating quotations from Sufi writings is not a simple task. Translating words literally can be misleading or not properly understood by readers unfamiliar with the context of the writing. Trying to select English words that might convey the spirit of a sentence can open the door for the translator's subjectivity. I do both in different places as I think appropriate, however my preferred method is to translate literally as much as possible and insert brief explanations or additional information in square brackets.

Another point about traditional Sufi texts: typically, there are no punctuation marks (commas and periods) in original texts to help the reader, accustomed to such things, better understand the texts. It appears that earlier generations of Arabs didn't deem them important. But it makes translating a text into a readable form, a bit tricky. Should one stick tightly to the original text, or make it easier to read for modern readers? I try to make the text easier to read, but sometimes I feel a long sentence should not be broken to smaller sentences. Hence, the reader might find some sentences, pretty long but with commas where I think might be needed.

*
Reading for Sufis (and mystics in general), I feel that in order to understand them, there is a certain mindset, unless one becomes familiar with, I am not sure how much of mystical writings would be possible to understand. I think that mystics are a special breed of writers.

*
Sufi knowledge is not confined to books. Indeed, there were Sufi masters who refused to write on Sufism like Abu Al-Hasan Al-Shazli who said: "my books are my companions" (probably meaning: What I want to say is in their hearts), and his student Abu Al-Abbas Al-Mursi who said: "knowledge of this group (Sufis) is about 'realizing' and the majority of people will not absorb it".

Even when they write, Sufi authors sometimes would stop and explicitly decline to go further while discussing some points. Abu-Hamid Al-Gazali and Ibn-Arabi frequently did that in their books. I guess those parts can only be properly understood with help form a Sufi master. That is why I think even if books on Sufism are available, they might not be enough. Sufi teachers add some valuable explanations to what is in books.

*
While I think I understand parts of Sufi writings, I don't claim that I understand everything Sufis write. Indeed there are parts, I would just stop at, without a clue on what is being discussed or meant there. Other parts, I only have a hunch on what they may mean.

*
To understand Sufi writings, I think background in the following areas is needed:
1) Basics of Islam: Beliefs, Quran, and Sunnah.
3) Kalam, the traditional Islamic Logical approach. Familiarity with
Greek Philosophical terms will help too.
3) The Mystical approach of looking at existence.

I do not have any formal background in any of the above. Regarding the first area, I have perhaps a little bit more than the basics that an average Muslim has. As for the rest, what I have can probably be described as general knowledge.

Given my background and that English is not my first language, am I qualified to translate Sufi texts? Honestly, I do not know. What I know is that, in my experience, I've found translation to be helpful to better comprehend subjects. I think that the process of having to re-express a sentence in a different language, involves as a first step, to try to clearly understand the sentence, in its native language. So, the first one to benefit from the translation, is perhaps myself.

*
Note: This site, limited as it is, is not about evaluating Sufi views (or any other views), it is about trying to present Sufi concepts as accurately as possible. However, I would like to mention that my study of Sufism was not in association with any Sufi group or Academic institution, and I am still exploring the subject. So, I cannot claim that I have figured out how Sufi writers thought, or how did they actually view the points they discussed. The translations and the comments are obviously based on how I understood Sufi texts, and it is possible that there are errors in the translations or in my understanding of certain points. Any errors are mine, and I shall appreciate corrections, comments, and suggestions that might improve the clarity and the accuracy of presented information.


I just felt I owe the reader the above clarifications at the outset.