Sunday, May 29, 2005

Abduh's background

Some information about the writer:

- I am a Sunni Muslim (Shaf-ee). I find Sufism very interesting, but I do not belong to any Sufi group.

- I am interested in several subjects like Religion, Philosophy of Science and Sufism. However, I do not have an academic background in any of these areas. I am not an expert in these subjects. I am just one of the millions of ordinary people writing on the net.

- English is not my first language. The nature of some covered subjects does not make writing in English simpler. The possibility of making an error is there of course.

- The articles on the site try to give an idea about covered points, but they are certainly not prepared to be used as references. The articles represent a minor effort that is far from complete. They are hardly academic, and are definitely not a sufficient or an authoritative source of information on discussed subjects. They present the writer's understanding of the subjects.
In case of a need to refer to some information presented on the site, it is recommended to refer to the original writings of scholars and academicians and to look for authentic explanations from qualified persons. My hope is that the information on the site might give interested readers a reason to explore the subjects further.

Thank you for reading this.



بعض المعلومات عن الكاتب:

-أخوكم مسلم سني (شافعي). مهتم بالتصوف ولكن لا أنتمي إلى أي طريقة.

- أهتم بالكتابة في مواضيع حول الدين والفلسفة العلمية والتصوف، ولكن ليست لدي خلفية أكاديمية في أي من هذه المجالات، ولست خبيرا في هذه المواضيع، بل مجرد واحد من ملايين الناس العاديين الذين يكتبون في الانترنت.

- معظم المقالات بالإنجليزية، وبعض المواضيع ليس من السهل الكتابة عنها باللغة الأصلية للمرء فضلا عن كتابتها بلغة أجنبية. لذلك فاحتمال وجود  اخطاء وارد.

- المقالات تمثل محاولة لإعطاء فكرة عن المواضيع المغطاة، ولكنها ليست معدة للاستخدام كمراجع. فهي لا تمثل إلا جهدا يسيرا وغير مكتمل. والمقالات ليست أكاديمية ولا تحتوي على معلومات كافية وليست معبرة عن جهة رسمية حول المواضيع المكتوبة، بل عن فهم الكاتب فقط.

في حالة الحاجة إلى استخدام مرجع عن معلومة ما كتب عنها في الموقع، ففضلا الرجوع إلى الكتابات الأصلية للعلماء والأساتذة والبحث عن شروحات موثوق بها من قبل شخصيات مؤهلة ومعروفة في مجال تخصصها.

ما أرجوه هو أن تكون المعلومات في هذا الموقع مفيدة وتحث القاريء الكريم على مزيد من البحث في المواضيع المكتوبة.

أشكركم على قراءة هذا الموضوع.




Update on the 10th of January, 2014:
The articles on this blog are based on notes I have written while reading about different subjects, and not based on studying with people specializing in such subjects, which I think is the better way in an effort to understand any field of knowledge.

I thought this clarification might be worth considering, in case of an interest in reading the articles on this blog. Thank you.
 
إضافة بتاريخ ١٠ يناير ٢٠١٤:
المقالات أساسها ملاحظات شخصية سجلتها أثناء قراءتي في المواضيع المختلفة، وهي ليست بناء على دراسة على يد متخصصين ، وهو كما أظن الوضع المناسب لمحاولة فهم أي مجال علمي.

ربما يهتم بعض السادة القراء بإيضاح هذه الناحية وأخذها في الاعتبار في حال رغبتهم في قراءة مقالات المدونة، وشكراً.
 

Update on December 2016:

Dear reader,

- I think that interest in Sufism need not mean that one is a Sufi or an expert in Sufism. Please note the following points: (a) I have never belonged to any Sufi group, and I am not pretending to be a Sufi. And I am not talking on behalf of Sufis. (b) My background in Sufism is limited. The literature is extensive and there are areas I have not considered yet. There are parts I read and didn't understand, and others I cannot confirm that I have appropriately understood. (c) By 'Sufis' I mean in most cases a limited number of writers of Arabic Sufi texts. There are many Arabic Sufi texts that I did not read and there are original Sufi texts written in other languages used by Muslims that I know little about, and only from some translations to English. (d) What I write about Sufism only reflects what I think Sufis mean.

- Having stated the above points, it might be correct if someone said maybe I should not be writing about something that I admit needs a better background than I have.

Frankly, I don't have a better explanation for writing other than saying that I am interested in these subjects and I have been reading about them for some time, and have been summarizing what I read in the articles.

I realize that that does not mean I am an expert, and I think I have been careful all along that the kind reader is aware of the limitations of the articles.

- I think anyone serious about the subjects presented on this blog, might want to consider authentic and publicly known sources of information.

Peace and kind regards,

Abduh.

 
إضافة في ديسمبر 2016:

عزيزي القاريء الكريم ،

- أعتقد أن الإهتمام بالتصوف لا يستوجب كون الواحد صوفيا أو خبيرا في مجال التصوف.
فضلا التنبه إلى النقاط التالية: (أ) لا أنتمي إلى أي طريقة صوفية، ولا أتظاهر بأني صوفي ، ولا أتحدث بالنيابة عن الصوفية. (ب) لدي خلفية محدودة عن التصوف. أدبيات هذا المجال واسعة النطاق، وهناك مواضيع لم أطلع عليها بعد. وهناك مواضيع قرأتها ولم أفهمها، وأخرى أظن أني فهمت شيئا منها ولكن لا أستطيع تأكيد أن فهمي لها صحيح. (ج) الصوفية الذين أتحدث عنهم شخصيات محدودة لها كتابات باللغة العربية فقط. هناك كتب صوفية لا اعرف عنها شيئا، وكتب حديثة نسبيا أو بلغات إسلامية أخرى غير العربية، أيضا لا أعرف عنها إلا القليل وبعد أن ترجمت إلى الانجليزية. (د) ما أكتبه عن الصوفية هو في حدود ما أظن أني فهمته من النصوص فقط.
 
- بناء على ما ذكر أعلاه، ربما يجدر أن لا يكتب في هذه المواضيع من يقر بأنها تحتاج إلى خلفية أفضل مما لدى الكاتب. وقد يكون محقا من يقول ذلك.

وبصراحة، ليس لدي تفسير للكتابة سوى القول بأني مهتم بهذه المواضيع وأقرأ عنها منذ مدة، وألخص ما أقرؤه في مقالات المدونة.

أعرف أن ذلك لا يعني أني خبير في هذه المواضيع ، ولكني حرصت منذ البداية بأن يكون القاريء الكريم على بينة بحدود المقالات في هذه المدونة.

- أعتقد أن من لديه اهتمام جدي بمواضيع المقالات في المدونة ربما يجد أن من الأفضل البحث عن التفاصيل في مصادر المعلومات المتخصصة و المعروفة في هذه المجالات.

سلامي مع أطيب التحيات،

أخوكم عبده.
 


Update on October 2026:

Dozens of posts on my account on twitter, in recent years, on math, determinism, Sufi thoughts, "free will" , human consciousness (incomparable, unreachable, untouchable, never fully comprehensible, in my view) and AI "Intelligence and Consciousness" (notions that are unrealistic, in my opinion).

My view on AI, is mainly with regards to AI hype, and not about computers and software development, which are things I have known and liked and worked with for decades.

I have always had a strong attachement to Math. Ever since I was a little kid, if I see numbers and equations, that would grab my attention and keeps me focused.

I have had deep interest in Theology and Sufism since I was a teenager. Even when I did not fully understand texts that were probably meant for older and more qualified students, I found myself reading and rereading books nonstop. Something was quite intriguing and attention grabbing.

When going to college, I tried to get into Math or Physics. But I was expected to learn about business. And there, the closest thing I found to what I wanted to learn was Economics. The interesting thing was that upon graduating I realized that the most important thing I have learned in college was Scientific Methods , regardless of what subject I might have picked to learn. It was something that I did not let go of, later on.

Anyway, are those different areas of interest?

I think the right question should be:
Can those areas be clearly separated, when they get poured into the same container?

It is one container to get all information into. How can they be clearly separated?

I think once views are accepted, they somehow will be connected in the background. That may appear and have an effect on one's view, even in a seemingly unconnected area. Just a thought.

I think I am an average person. I like to be classified with common people, even if I think it is important to have a nicely gathered social environment, that spans levels of society.

This update is in case if there is any interest in checking where I might have gone right or wrong, regarding my views in my posts or in my articles on the blog.

I never cared if anyone knew anything about me, but when posting public posts, introducing oneself, might be a responsible thing to do.

Thank you for reading this.